Summer is a mere FIVE DAYS away y’all. We can feel it, taste it, sense it, or want to runaway from it… but regardless, it’s almost HERE! And while we are confident most of you are more prepared than us for it, we wanted to focus this week on getting you ready for FUN in the SUN! So we present our summer bucket list for 2016….
Our main goal in running this blog is to showcase all of the amazing things that are happening right here in Bryan-College Station, so we are focusing this year’s summer bucket list on our twin cities. We also want this to be fun and NOT overwhelming – we know what it feels like when an item is never checked on a list so hopefully you’ll find that this is a great/EASY way to have some family fun.
So let’s begin..
JJ’s Snow Cones – This place is worthy of a Food Network shoutout. Only open April – end of summer. Pet friendly and plenty of amazing flavors to choose from.
Blue Baker – You may remember that we went Red, White and BLUE last year. This one HAD to make a return on our list. We may even try to hit up all THREE locations once the South CS store opens.
Lake Bryan – There is so much to do at Lake Bryan, fishing, skiing, hiking and don’t forget live music at the Icehouse…sunsets at the lake should be on everyone’s list.
U Paint It – Let’s face it, some days are even too hot to swim… take a break from the heat and get ahead on all those Christmas stocking stuffers. Ha! You can even sign up the kids for weekly visits on their Project Thursdays.
City of College Station Events – Let’s get a shout out for our city planning team. Y’all, there are TONS of things to do right here in BCS for FREE!!! Our top picks… http://cstx.gov/index.aspx
- Movies in the Park – Make plans to be there THIS friday! What a fun way to kick off the end of school!
- Starlight Music Series – Straight from their web page: “Load up your coolers, blankets and lawn chairs for free entertainment during the City of College Station’s Starlight Music Series at Wolf Pen Creek Amphitheater.” Y’all. You get to come listen to live music for FREE and supply your own drinks?? (No glass allowed!) See you there! (Side note: While you’re there, make plans to roll down that epic hill!)
- Games of Texas – Get front row seats at this event from the G. Hysmith Skate Park. (And if you didn’t know we had a skate park, then read about it here and make plans to just take the kids with their scooters one day!)
Hiking/bike riding is a great way to get outside with the entire family and our cities have a variety of places to go!
- Veterans’ Park Trails – Make this an early morning or evening activity to beat the heat, but take advantage of this trail chalked full of history.
- Lake Bryan – This one is pretty long – probably better for the older kids!
- Lick Creek Park – This is favorite of ours, mainly because it’s down the road from our house. There are tons of trails to explore in the city, you can find them all here.
You can also download a geocaching app and create your own trails to explore!
Take a SPLASH in all the city pools – There are tons of events through the CS Aquatics…
- MAY 28 | BACK TO POOLS DAY
Beach-themed party with games from 2-4 p.m. at Adamson Lagoon.
- JUNE 1 | AQUATIC HONOR ROLL
A/B CSISD honor roll gets in free at all pools! Must bring report card.
- JUNE 2-AUG. 4 | FAMILY SWIM NIGHT
Thursday nights are Family Swim Night from 7:30-9:30 p.m. at Adamson Lagoon. Families receive half-price admission.
- JUNE 8 | CSISD SCHOOL T-SHIRT DAY
Get half-price admission with CSISD shirt at Adamson Lagoon.
- JUNE 19 | HAPPY FATHER’S DAY
Happy Father’s Day! Dads get in free at all pools.
- JUNE 22 | SHIPWRECKED LAGOON
Dress like a pirate and get in free from 2-4 p.m. at Adamson Lagoon.
- JUNE 29 | TREASURE HUNT
Fun pirate games from 2-4 p.m. at Adamson Lagoon.
- JULY 4 | INDEPENDENCE DAY CELEBRATION
Games every hour, duck derby, and noodle races from 12-6 p.m. at Adamson Lagoon.
- JULY 13 | PIRATE DAY
Dress like your favorite pirate character and get in free from 2-4 p.m. at Adamson Lagoon.
- JULY 20 | TWO CAN SWIM
Bring in two canned goods to receive half-price admission from 2-4 p.m. at Adamson Lagoon. All food items will go to the Brazos Valley Food Bank.
- JULY 27 | DOUBLE DIP DAY
Receive free ice cream with admission from 2-4 p.m. at Adamson Lagoon.
Brazos Valley Bombers – There is nothing like a summer night at the ballpark. Check out our local team and root for the win!
Explore local libraries – Our towns have more than one amazing library to take advantage of. This item is another to scratch off on those unbearably hot days…
- George Bush Library – Make plans to see movies by the pond, enroll your kids in a summer camp session, or just walk through the library.
- Larry J. Ringer – Attend the Big Rigs kick-off event for their summer reading program or tune in for a free movie event.
- Clara B. Mounce – Attend the Big Rigs kick-off event for their summer reading event
CookNGrow – New to College Station, this sounds super fun. They have classes, offer private parties and cater to your every need! Sign us up as taste testers!!
We couldn’t possibly cover it all in one summer bucket list … other items could include…gelato to go at Napa Flats, grab froyo at Spoons, take a drive to Brenham for some Blue Bell and roller skating fun… the list could quite literally never end. So, we want to know… WHAT’S ON YOUR BUCKET LIST? (As an aside, check out two of our local bloggers who just shared tons of ideas on their summer bucket list link-party).
We will be sharing our adventures with you on What We’re Doing Wednesday!
Use hashtags on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter so we can keep up with all the fun! #bcssummerbucketlist
LET’S DO THIS!
And come back this week, because Stephanie has made an INCREDIBLE list of day trips from BCS. Let the summering begin!