Well, it’s happened. We have come to the end of Christmas in July. But let’s think about all the ground we have covered in getting you ready for the holidays. We’ve given you a to do list, amazing stocking stuffer ideas, given you tips for starting that Christmas card, and some fabulous examples of how to use props in that upcoming photo session.
Seriously – we feel like we have been running around like crazy and We.Are.NOT.Runners. Which is the perfect segue into the topic of the day…
Just because we are’t runners doesn’t mean we don’t run. We just may not go very fast. But we do it for lots of reasons, none of which are to escape the crazy chaos of a home filled with multiple children, a husband, and a cat or dog. Ha! So here are our tips to being a non-running runner.
Buy cute clothes
You may laugh, but it’s true. If I feel good about what I’m wearing, then I’m more motivated to go somewhere – even if it’s for a run. You can find great athletic apparel at all cost points. I’m a Penney’s girl myself and they have a fantastic new line that is on major sale at the moment.
Music is a must
My husband doesn’t like to run with music, but I’d put him more in the category of “runner” than “non”. I use it for a few reasons.
- Worship – I love running to NeedtoBreathe Radio on Pandora. Upbeat and uplifting – it’s like He knows just what I need to hear. And when I think I can’t run up one more hill, a song comes on that is just what I need to get it done.
- Timing – I’m weird. And I like to guess how long I’ve been running by the number of songs that has played. I use it to run farther, faster. #crazycakes
- Distraction – If I’m only left to myself then I will psych myself out. See #1 and #2.
Mix it up
My mom and her friends met at the HS track as long as I can remember to walk and talk. Have mercy if I could do the same thing over and over again. I don’t know that I have ran the same route more than 3 times ever. I have to mix it up and not just in my neighborhood but in general. My favorite places to run in BCS:
- Pebble Creek – the hills are kind of rough but the sidewalks are wide, there are lots of routes and well, I live there so it’s convenient.
- Lick Creek Park – other than the occasional snake or two, the scenery is awesome and a fun change of pace
- Wolf Pen Creek – If I’m really motivated, I’ll go to the amphitheater and run up that giant hill, walk down and repeat. My record is 5 times before collapsing. It’s no joke, y’all.
- HS Bleachers – I used to think Coach Delaney was crazy for making us run a bleacher mile. Well, I still think it’s crazy, but it’s a fun challenge. Walk/run the curves and then run bleachers on the straights.
Mind over matter
This is the hardest one for me. I can totally talk myself out of running. It’s too hot, it’s too cold. I don’t have enough time. I ran last week. I ::insert silly excuse here::. The key to getting better is being consistent, staying at the level that works for you, and having fun. Just keep moving and if you have to walk, so what. Be proud.
This one is different than buying cute clothes. You need fun gear, too! Especially you mommas out there that have little ones. You can’t just leave them at home (I tried that once, the police didn’t like it.) (Kidding.) (They never found out.) 😉
How awesome is that water bottle? And I wanted to order 4 of those headbands – they would make great stocking stuffers for the runners in your life. And who doesn’t need personalized socks. Seriously, all the fun accessories alone are enough to make a girl want to run. And if those aren’t enough we have something awesome for you today!
Thanks to Dexter Insurance one lucky reader is getting the ultimate mom-running accessory….
And in case some freak accident happens while you are out running make sure you talk to the Dexter Team for all your insurance needs. Dexter Insurance is located in Bryan-College Station (with an office in Dallas) and can help you with auto, home, commercial, and life insurance. They are seriously awesome.
Whoever wins that awesome BOB Stroller will most definitely need to fine tune their running skills using a Fit4Mom 10-Class Pass! If you aren’t a runner that’s okay, some of us just aren’t runners ;). Join the ladies at Fit4Mom Stroller Strides for their new early morning boot camp (5:30am) and take things in stride. Or you can test out a mid morning Stroller Strides class (they stride 6 days a week!). And if working out with a BOB Stroller isn’t your thing, leave the kids at home and head to Body Back.
Aren’t y’all excited about this awesome GIVEAWAY??? We are SUPER excited. The BOB Stroller is the ultimate mom necessity (just like Dexter Insurance 😉 ). And don’t even get us started with the Fit4Mom 10 Class Pass….oh the possibilities.
We’re also excited about what they are DISHING about at Your Merry Mailbox. All you expecting Mommas will love it – CHRISTMAS BIRTH ANNOUNCEMENTS. Seriously, run on over there and check it out!
a Rafflecopter giveaway